WiRE Speed Mentoring sessions help students and new professionals entering the energy field, to receive mentorship and feedback from experienced industry professionals with established careers in the energy sector. Everyone welcome to participate!
- Mentors come from backgrounds in STEM, R&D, innovation, clean technology and sustainability.
- Mentees included students and recent graduates who are eager to work in the energy sector, young professionals looking to progress within the industry, as well as experienced individuals who are looking to transition to the energy sector.
WiRE Speed Mentoring at the APPrO 30th Annual Canadian Power Conference & Networking Centre (All Welcome)
Hosted by Women in Renewable Energy WIRE in partnership with the Association of Power Producers of Ontario APPrO, this annual speed-mentoring event is designed to have short, focused conversations between mentors and mentees of all genders.
Mentors (Industry Professionals):
- Share your knowledge and insight about Canada's energy sector
- Provide guidance to a student entering the field
- Help a developing professional advance their career and enrich your professional life
- Make new contacts and contribute directly to the future of the industry
Mentees (Students & Developing Professionals):
- Learn about the energy sector from an experienced professional
- Experience one-on-one and two-on-one round table mentoring
- Make new contacts and learn about the future of the industry
Date: Monday November 13, 3:45 - 5 pm
Location: Westin Harbour Castle Hotel, 1 Harbour Square, Toronto ON M5J 1A6
Cost: FREE (registration requiried)
Learn more about the 30th Annual Canadian Power Conference & Networking Centre here.
Special thanks to ENGIE - Inaugural Industry Diversity Sponsor of the APPrO Conference
WiRE and the Association of Power Producers of Ontario (APPrO) launched speed mentoring in 2015. The success of the event led the organizations to remount the event in 2016 and again at the 29th Annual Canadian Power Conference on November 20th, 2017 with 60 participants.
Feedback is uniformly positive. Mentors report that they enjoy participating as it affords them opportunities to share their sector knowledge as well as to recruit new talent. Mentees learn about the types of work that are available in the energy sector, a d find leads for recruitment opportunities.
For many mentors and mentees, the Speed Mentoring event becomes the start of a long-term relationship.
Feedback from 2017 mentors:
“Great initiative with an amazing purpose!”
“Diversity of mentees looking for change. Very refreshing.”
“Truly support this great initiative! One of a kind in this industry.”
“I love providing information about my many years of experience as a woman in a predominantly male industry.”
Feedback from 2017 mentees:
“I wrote a thank you letters to the mentors. One of them invited me for a company tour.”
“I enjoyed networking with other individuals (young and female) in my desired field.”
“I enjoyed learning about different roles in the power sector and it was most beneficial for me to confirm the things I wanted to do and didn't want to do in a job.”
“I really appreciated the advice and experience of the mentors. It was beneficial to have the opportunity to meet with more than one mentor.”
“The highlight of the event was the chance to connect with experienced/senior professionals in the field, especially the chance to connect with female professionals of this level.”